One-third of the population drinks coffee occasionally. However, unsustainable practices in coffee shops can contribute to pollution, carbon emissions, and degradation of the environment. Adopting sustainable practices is not only good for the environment but the business too. Here are some tips to help make coffee shops more sustainable.
Save on Milk
Coffee shops waste a lot of milk in the form of leftovers. Your customers don’t want coffee that has been re-skimmed and has a burnt flavor. If you want to get an idea of how much you waste, then pay attention to what you do with extra milk.
When it comes to milk waste, the key to avoiding it is to train the baristas, as most of the losses come from making the wrong estimations of the required quantity. Learning to pour it correctly can also reduce the losses.
In addition to training the baristas, you should consider investing in a milk dispensing system.
Use Energy-Efficient Fixtures
An eco-friendly coffee house must also pay attention to any misuse of electricity and energy. For example, coffee shops consume a lot of electrical energy used for lighting to create the right ambiance for their clientele. You could always get energy-saving bulbs and still maintain the ambiance.
Coffee makers and related accessories also consume significant amounts of energy. For example, most Espresso machines use more than 1 kilowatt-hour. However, you can invest in the latest versions with features such as a multi-boiler system to help increase your energy savings.
Make Use of Sustainable Paper Cups
As the fast-food industry continues to grow, environmentalists continue to raise concerns over unsustainable business practices. Hundreds of millions of paper cups find their way into landfills every day. They should be recycled but based on how some are manufactured, recycling them is often a complicated process.
Most of the cheap paper cups you see today have a polyurethane coating and come with plastic lids. Separating the polyurethane lining from the paper is expensive, making this type of paper coffee accessories unsustainable.
You could instead opt for eco-friendly paper cups. These containers use plant-based coatings instead of polyurethane. The materials used are carbon dioxide neutral. You can also find a wide range of other products made from these eco-friendly materials. They include eco-friendly paper straws, wooden coffee stirrers, and even eco-friendly coffee cups with lids.
They are reasonably priced, which is good for the coffee shop. But they also communicate to your customers that you care about the environment. People will inevitably use paper cups for their coffee in an increasingly faced-paced world. Businesses can help champion for a more sustainable and greener world by taking these simple and practical steps.
Reducing Overall WasteMaking your business fully sustainable also calls on you to work towards a zero-waste target. There are a few simple changes that can reduce the amount of waste.
- Go Paperless: Shift your paper transactions into an electronic-based system. You can even make booking and reservations more convenient by allowing online orders.
- Recycle When Renovating: When you buy new fittings and furniture during renovations, consider collecting all the old items and donating them to charity.
- Green Cleaning: Harsh chemicals compounds from cleaning detergents find their way into the groundwater and disrupt ecosystems. Consider using detergents that do not contain toxic compounds. You could also limit the use of cleaning agents altogether. By washing the floor with steam cleaners, you can clean more effectively while saving on water.
- Consider Donating Leftover Food: Collect and pack up all leftover food. You can give food to shelters or as material for compost to the gardening community in your local area.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint: You can introduce an offer for your customers while reducing carbon dioxide. Offer to deliver orders on foot or by bicycle to areas within the vicinity of the coffee shop.
- Weigh the Coffee: Make a deliberate effort to weigh your coffee. A lot of waste accumulates when you make quick estimations. Moreover, weighing accurately will lead to more consistent results. You can save money and make your customers happy at the same time.
Contact Hot Cup Factory today to invest in eco-friendly paper cups and start your journey towards sustainability.